Cisitalia 202 Berlinetta Pinin Farina 1948 and Cabriolet Vignale 1950
The Cisitalia Company began operation in 1946 by making 1100 cc single seat racing cars. Cisitalia is short for Compagnia Industriale Sportiva Italiana. It was founded just after the war by Piero Dusio, a businessman from Turin, for the manufacture of GT and racing cars. The firm's first product, the single seat D46, was made around a tubular space frame and a large quantity of Fiat components especially the 1100 model mechanical elements. Designed as a new approach to racing with mimited expenses, the D46 won the Coppa Brezzi on the Valentino circuit in 1946. It was almost immediately accompagnied by the 202 two seats sports car with tubular steel chassis , one of which Nuvolari drove into second place in the 1947 Mille Miglia behind Bordino in a larger capacity Alfa Romeo 2900 cc. A berlinetta was then produced with bodywork by Pinin Farina that looked ahead to the styles of tomorrow. The 1948 coupé had most attractive coachwork by Pinin Farina, being one of the first Gran Turismo cars for which Italy has become so famous. Its clean lines have hardly dated over the years and it remains one of the classics of coachwork design. A striking feature for those days was the horizontal radiator grille and the bonnet set below the front fenders with their built-in headlamps. When the New York Museum of Modern Art chose eight cars for an exhibit "excellence as works of art" the Cisitalia 202 Berlinetta Pinin Farina was among them. It was designated as sculpture in movement.
Mechanically it was not outstanding, having a standard Fiat 1100 engine available in 50 hp or 60 hp forms. Thanks to light weight of 700 kg (1540 lb.) and aerodynamic form, the maximum speed was claimed at 168 kph (105 mph).
The red berlinetta illustrated in this article is exhibited at the Museo Nazionale dell Automobile di Torino.
According to sources, 170 Cisitalia 202 were built of which some 20 units were convertible versions.
In this article we are also presenting the Cisitalia 202B cabriolet Lusso 1950 by Vignale introduced by its owner Sergio Lugo (AR) at the 2014 Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este. This particular model chassis number 148 is a Lusso version with some special accessories ardered from Vignale by Lombardi & Koelliker in Milan. A chrome badge with the words "Lombardi & Koelliker, Milano" is therefore affixed below the Vignale logo. The fuel tank is mounted transversely in the luggage compartment, whilst the spare wheel is accomodated within a leather cover behind the seats. This Cisitalia was imported by Fontana Automotriz in Montevideo (Uruguay) where it competed at circuit races in Mar del Plata (Argentina) and Buenos Aeres. This Cisitalia has also been presented at local Concours d'Elegance events under the current ownership since 1979.
Photos Damiens and BMW AG
Wallpapers : Cisitalia 202 Berlinetta Pinin Farina 1948 and Cabriolet Vignale 1950